Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What 15 Days of Whole30 Has Taught Me


10 things I have learned so far about myself, my body, and the Whole30:


  1. I love sweet potatoes - I used to like them but when I had an option I would always choose a loaded white baked potato, and if I had to choose a sweet potato I would load it up with brown sugar and marshmallows.  I now love them with just a little ghee and cinnamon.
  2. I can do anything I put my mind to - I know this is super cheesy, but it is also true.  There is no way I could do this without perseverance and dedication.  It is nice to be reminded of all the great and amazing things that your body is capable of. 
  3. My skin is clearer - Getting all the "junk" out of my system has made my skin look great!  Thanks to my home-made face wash my skin is pretty clear, but I did have some dark spots from old acne.  They are all pretty much gone, and I don't need cover-up anymore.
  4. I have definitely lost weight - You are not supposed to weigh yourself on this program, and I have not, but I can tell that my clothes are looser and everyone is telling me I look thinner.
  5. My injured knee is better - I am still not 100%, but the swelling has definitely gone down!  I am not sure how much of it is time and how much is this detox, but I do think that the detox has a little something to do with it.
  6. A support system is a necessity - I am doing this on my own even though I tried to talk a ton of other people into doing it with me, but my friends, family, and co-workers have all been super supportive of me.  They hold me accountable, and they are there for me to complain to when I am feeling like I want to quit or cheat.  My bestie even skipped out drinking on St. Patrick's day to hang out with me!  She's the best.  Also, make sure you check out the Whole30 Forums.  There is a lot of great support there, and you can find answers to every question you have.
  7. Grocery shopping is a pain - You have to read every label, and sugar is in almost everything!  I was a label reader before, but I was mainly looking at serving sizes and calories not ingredients.  Next time you get a chance read some of the labels in your kitchen, and I guarantee you that you will be surprised by what is actually in your food.  I even found spices that had sugar in them!
  8. The internet is your friend - You probably already know this, but you will learn to love it more.  Having a smart phone while shopping will really help you.  I am constantly having to Google whether or not I am allowed to have something.
  9. Less is more - I am mainly talking about ingredients here, and not serving sizes.  Like I said earlier, grocery shopping is hard, so I have found the less things I have to read the better!  Many times I have just gotten frustrated and decided to pass on items that I might normally have, or I just try to figure out how to make it on my own.  
  10. I love cooking - This really is something I have learned about myself.   My degree is in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, and I had to take cooking classes in school and I grew up cooking with my mom and grandma.  I have always been able to cook, and been a pretty good one at that (not to toot my own horn).  However, I just always thought I hated it.   I just never felt a passion for it until now.  I love getting in the kitchen and creating something delicious and healthy.  I just put my music on and go to town.  I have no idea why I like to cook now, but I look at it as a win.
These are just a few of the things that I have learned, and so far I am loving the Whole30 even though it does get hard sometimes.  Once I get finished I will post an updated list of things I have learned.  Have you done the Whole30?  Do you have any advice?  Are you thinking about doing the Whole30 and have questions?



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment