Thursday, March 21, 2013

Inspiration and Change - My Mini "Happiness Project"

I often wonder what inspires other people to change, and I do not mean slowly over time.  I mean big drastic life changing changes.  For me and my most recent change, which is doing Whole30, was inspired by a break up.  I had changed during my relationship, and I did not necessarily like what I had become.

It was nothing bad or horrible, but I had started to eat very unhealthy and stopped working out as much.  I felt like I needed a change, and I wanted to embrace the person I know I really am, which is a healthy, fitness fanatic, who likes to be crafty.  I had stopped doing many of these things to hang out with my boyfriend.  I had not meant to change, but I did.

Last month I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and decided that maybe I should start my own mini "happiness project."  It is not nearly as in depth as hers, and I am not writing down everything I am doing like she did.  However, I will do monthly check-ins on how it is going.

I decided the best way for me to be happy was to do a complete detox for my first month.  For me that means the Whole30 and getting rid of everything negative in my life.  I am also on a self-imposed detox from guys.  For these 30 days I am focusing completely on myself, and I do not mean for that to sound selfish.  I am doing it so I can grow as a person.

So what does my mini "happiness project" look like?  Well, I have started working out again.  To me nothing is better then going out for a run to clear your mind and get a new perspective on things.  I am making an effort to keep in touch with my friends and see them more often.  I am reading more and watching less T.V.  One of my goals in life is to be on Jeopardy!, so I am trying to expand my knowledge as much as possible.  I have also started crafting and sewing again, and lastly I started my blog.

To some people these may seem like small petty things, but to me I know that they will help me to come closer to being the person that I want to be.  I know that my mini "happiness project" is perfect for me!  I am half way through my detox and I am feeling great.  I am finding my passion for life again, and isn't that what a happiness project is all about?

Have you done a happiness project or are you wanting to start one?  I highly recommend reading "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  Who knows it might inspire you!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment