Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Whole30 New World

I am not sure how many of you are familair with the Whole30 program.  It is a detox/rest of sorts.  Basically you cut everything delicious out of your diet, and you reap some amazing benefits.  Okay, maybe that was a little harsh, but that is exactly how I felt after I first read about the Whole30 program.

To be honest, I am not even sure how I found out about the Whole30 program.  I tend to skip around from blog to blog and I love to peruse Pinterest, so I am sure that I stumbled upon it through one of those forays.  I was looking for a way to lose some weight, and to help me feel better about myself overall. 

I am a very active person, and I love to run and play soccer.  Unfortunately, I was injured about a month during a soccer game. I was on crutches for about a week, and I am still hobbling around, which means I am pretty much doing no activity.  This means I have lost my muscle mass and have gained some extra pounds.  Typically I eat fairly healthy and am able to offset my bad habits by working out.  I knew that what I wanted was something to jump start getting back into shape, possibly a detox or cleanse of some sort.

Enter the Whole30 program.  My first thought was, "there is no way can I do this!" They want me to cut sugar(real and artificial), no alcohol (what am I getting into here?), no grains, no legumes, no dairy (what no cheese or ice cream or milk?), no carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites (these 3 are doable no problem!), no white potatoes (no chips!).  I hate to admit it, but the majority of these things are the majority of my diet, but then I started to read about all of the great things that would happen to me and my body by "resetting it" with the Whole30.

I found a lot of information from different blogs, including whole9life.com, which is the official website of Dallas & Melissa Hartwig, the creators of the Whole30 program.  I was intrigued by all the information that I had found, and decided to learn more about it.  The more I learned the more I began to think that I could do it, and I would have amazing results, which are more energy, better sleep, a flatter stomach, and quite a few health benefits. 

I found out there was a book, It Starts With Food, which tells you about Whole30 more in depth.  They even give you all the "science - y" facts to back everything up.  As soon as I found out there was a book I ran over to library and grabbed it.  I am currently reading it, and loving every minute of it.  My plan is to finish this book by Saturday, go shopping this weekend for everything I'll need to begin the program, and prep my food on Sunday for the week. 

I decided it was best to start right away instead of trying to find "the right time to do it."  I am sad that I won't be able to "celebrate" St. Patrick's day as I normally would, but I know that this small sacrifice now will pay off big time in the future.  There is never going to be a "perfect" time.  I know there will always be a party to attend or a holiday to celebrate, so I figure I will do it now while I am excited about the program.

I have found some great blogs of other people who have been successful with the Whole30.  They have inspired me sooooo much!  I am going to document my journey here on the blog.  I would love to hear your feedback if you have completed the Whole30.  What was your favorite thing to eat?  Do you have any advice for me?

I found this great quote that is really inspiring to start right my program NOW! 

If it is important to you, you'll find a way.  If not, you'll find an excuse. - Frank Banks

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment