Thursday, March 28, 2013

Well Fed Review & Some of My Favorite Recipes


When I first started researching Whole30 I kept hearing about Melissa Joulwan, and her cookbook "Well Fed."  Once I decided for sure that I was going to do a Whole30 I hopped online and reserved a copy of her book at the library.  I thought that I was just getting a boring old cookbook with recipes in it, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was wrong.

She starts the cookbook with a brief history of her and what led her to a Paleo lifestyle.  No, it is not pertinent to the cookbook, but I like the personal touch.  She also talks about what Paleo is and the rules that go along with Paleo eating.  The best thing is she really breaks everything down for you, so do not think, "I do not know anything about cooking."  That is not a valid excuse!  She makes everything super simple, and even tells you what ingredients you should have in your pantry.

My favorite thing in this book is the Weekly Cookup.  Mel shows you how to prepare most of your food for the week on one day, which is super helpful for people on the go.  Its also really great that first week when you are exhausted all the time, and have barely any energy.

The recipes in here are beyond amazing.  Even my parents who are not Paleo or doing the Whole30 have enjoyed the meals that I have created for them out of here.  I think my absolute favorite thing in the cookbook is the Olive Oil Mayo.  I know it sounds weird for this to be my favorite, but let me explain why.  It is the perfect mayo.  It is light and creamy and really highlights the flavors of the food you use it as a condiment with.  I love to eat tuna salad and chicken salad for lunch, and this mayo is perfect in them.  I really cannot say enough good things about it, but make sure you follow the instructions carefully and do not rush it.  Good mayo takes time, and think of it as a great work out for your shoulders...holding that cup of olive oil up for 3-5 minutes!

My next favorite recipe is the Ginger Lime Grilled Shrimp.  They are quick and easy.  I come home and throw them in the marinade and then I throw them on George (a.k.a. The George Foreman Grill we are on a first name basis though) and bada bing bada boom I have a delicious dinner in under 45 minutes.  Plus 20 of those minutes are marinating time, so I'm off doing whatever I want during that time.

My third favorite are the Caramelized Coconut Chips.  I just like to make the original ones.  They are salty and a little sweet and the perfect crunch for when you are having a snack attack.

A few other notes on the book.  She gives you ideas of what sides to put with each meal, so it really is a no brainer.  She also tells you different spices you can add to make a completely different meal, and she encourages you to experiment in the kitchen, which has helped me to make some pretty amazing things. She also tells you if you do not like something then leave it out, and I had to do this with the Ginger Lime Grilled Shrimp not because I did not like something but because I was out of cilantro.  You know what?  It still tasted delicious.

I highly recommend this book if you are wanting to do the Whole30 or you live a Paleo lifestyle.  I think you will find some great recipes.  You can also find more great recipes on her website.  If nothing else go and borrow it from your library to get a feel for what this great book has to offer.

If you were wondering what the brightly colored pieces of paper at the top of the book are they are the tags to all of the recipes that I like to make.  Since this is a library book I will sadly have to return it, and probably just go and buy my own copy.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment