Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Came, I Pinned, I Created - Fabric Headband


I don't know about you, but I love Pinterest.  I love to pin all of these amazing things that I am going to make or cook or work outs that I am going to do one day.  The only problem is I pin and I pin and I pin, but rarely do I actually create or make or do any of these things that I pin.  I am sure that many of you have the same problem, so I have come up with a solution to this problem.  Are you ready for it?  I created a board that I have cleverly titled "I came, I pinned, I created."  On this board I put all of the things that I have actually created, cooked, or done from Pinterest.

I decided to create a series with the same name here on the blog.  A few times a month I am going to share with you the tutorials/recipes that I have done/cooked.  I will let you know how they worked out for me, and if I think they are worth your time.  I will also share pictures of my own fabulous creations.  Make sure you follow me on Pinterest, and let me know if there is something that you would really like for me to create, cook, or do.

I found this tutorial from Happy Together Creates for a double sided fabric head band a while ago.  One look at how cute they were I knew I had to make some.  This is the first one that I made (I like to call it a prototype), and since I am still new to sewing I knew it would not be perfect and chose to just use one fabric for both sides.  I will definitely try a double sided one next time.  I just need to pick out what fabric to use.  Any suggestions?

I made a few adjustments, and this did lead me a little astray.  I decided to alter the pattern all on my own.  This was the second or third thing I had sewn and my first attempt at changing a pattern.  Quick side note...I get everything ready (i.e. cut out my patterns) before I go to my friend Tina's house for my sewing lesson.  This way we can get down to sewing right away.  Anyways, I was so proud of myself because I had changed the pattern all on my own and I showed Tina and she thought I had done a great job.  You are probably wondering what I changed.  Well, I have a small head and I just knew that the pattern she had made would be waaaayyy to big for me.


Mine is the one of the left and hers is the one in the middle.  Here is a better look at how much smaller mine is.


Everything was going great until it came time to attach the elastic cover piece.  You see, I did not completely pay attention to things when altering my pattern and the elastic cover was too big to fit into my headband.  Alas, Tina was able to make a few changes and cram it up in there.  Lesson learned.  You cannot change one part of the pattern without seeing how it will affect everything else.  Needless to say I am going back to the drawing board to alter the pattern a little more.  We cut off part of the headband piece to make the opening bigger for the elastic cover, which actually helped it to stay on my head better.  I am telling you I have a small head.

I am still proud of how it turned out and would highly recommend this tutorial.  Please ignore my messy hair.  I just wanted to slip it on, so you could see how the headband actually looks on.  I really do love it, and cannot wait to get the pattern perfected.  Once you get the hang of it these babies are super quick to make, and you can even use scraps that you have laying around.

You can get the free pattern along with detailed instructions to make them in the tutorial.  If you have any questions let me know, and I will try to help you or at least lead you in the right direction for an answer.

If you make one please come back and share your pic with me!

post signature










No comments:

Post a Comment